Your legal responsibility
You must have the equipment, facilities and people to provide first aid to employees.
Every workplace should have at least:
- A suitably stocked first-aid box; and
- A chosen person to take charge of first aid arrangements.
What law applies?
- The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
- The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1982
First aid items
There is no standard list of items to put in a first aid box. It depends on the needs your workplace. However, where there is no special risk in your workplace, a minimum stock of first aid items could include:
- A leaflet giving general guidance on first aid
- 20 individually wrapped sterile adhesive dressings (assorted sizes)
- 2 sterile eye pads
- 2 individually wrapped triangular bandages (preferably sterile)
- 6 safety pins
- 6 medium-sized (approximately 12 cm x 12 cm) individually wrapped sterile unmedicated wound dressings
- 2 large (approximately 18 cm x 18 cm) sterile individually wrapped unmedicated wound dressings
- 3 pair of disposable gloves
You shouldn't keep tablets or medicines in the first aid box.